MaxFund relies on volunteers to fill many of the needs at the shelter and the volunteer program is extremely flexible and rewarding! No matter what your interest in helping MaxFund, there are likely many things you can find to do!
Resources for Volunteers
In order to volunteer at the shelter for ANY of the volunteer positions listed below, you must first be accepted as a volunteer and go through a volunteer orientation. For more information on getting started as a volunteer, and to download a volunteer application, please visit the Potential Volunteer Information Page
Once volunteers have gone through an orientation, they can do just about anything at the shelter, based on whatever interests you have. The list below is designed to give you an idea of some of the things that we need volunteers to help with. If you have any questions that aren't answered on these pages, please contact carolynmaxfundorg.
- Walking Dogs
- Socializing/Petting Cats
- Bathing/Grooming animals
- Dog Training with our Champs Program link
- Providing Foster Homes for Animals with special needs link
- Providing love and encouragement for all the animals at the shelter
New! Champs is Back!
We are excited to announce that Champs (Creating Homes for Agreeably Mannered Pups) is back! We will be starting the spring session with a 90 minute orientation on Tuesday, March 25th from 7:00 – 8:30pm. The following six weeks will be hands on training sessions held in the rehab range from 7:00 – 8:00 pm on Tuesday evenings. During the hands on sessions, we ask that you arrive at least 15 minutes early to take your Champ for a quick walk before class to help them unwind a bit and prepare to learn!
Laura McGaughey will be leading the spring session of Champs, helping us all learn a little more about ourselves and how we can help the MaxFund dogs with basic good behavior and social skills. Laura teaches using only positive reinforcement techniques and will help us gain a better understanding on why this is so important for the MaxFund dogs. At the orientation Laura will also provide insights into what you can expect from each weekly hands on sessions, what supplies to bring and suggested dogs for the class.
If you have any questions before the orientation, please feel free to contact Laura at Laura McGaughey (lauradelightfuldoggiescom). Please check the Champs Facebook page for announcements and information!
Volunteers who have gone through the orientation and a live dog handling session with a mentor are eligible to participate in Champs. We look forward to seeing you on March 25!
- Cleaning cages, litter boxes and kennels
- Washing, drying and folding laundry
- Cleaning food and water bowls
- Organizing shelves, storage bins and cabinets
- Sweeping, mopping floors
Special Events, Mobile Adoptions & Fundraising
- MaxFund events such as Puttin on the Max, Lucky Mutt Strut, etc. link
- Community Events, fairs and festivals
- Accompanying pets to Mobile Adoptions and Mobile Events (view the current events calendar here: MaxFund Mobile Adoptions and Events Calendar 2014 (3.18.14 UPDATE)
- Helping organize and communicate fundraising activities
Lobby Greeter & Animal Adoptions
- Welcoming potential adopters to the shelter and getting them checked in link
- Helping adoptions counselors with reference checks and other adoption assistance
- Answering phones and visitor questions